Kaitlyn Calabro (maiden name Socha) graduated summa cum laude from Montclair State University with a B.S in Biology and minors in Chemistry and Computer Science. She is currently a first year graduate student in the genetics concentration of the College of Medicine’s Interdisciplinary Program in Biomedical Sciences at UF. Her research focuses on improving dual AAV vector therapies for large genes involved in inherited retinal disorders.
- Calabro K, McIntyre L, Morse A. Comparison of DNA Assembly Methods. University of Florida Genetics Symposium, Gainesville, FL, November 2015.
- Socha K, Cordova P, Ahmed J, Ezeiruaku A, Hanafy M, Du C, Xiong W. Helitrons appear to have the potential of capturing full-length genes. Montclair State University Student Research Symposium, Montclair, NJ, April 2015.
- Socha K, Du C, Xiong W. Characterization of full-length candidate genes captured by Helitrons. 57th International Maize Genetics Conference, St. Charles, IL March 2015.
- Socha K, Du C, Xiong W. Identification of potential genes captured by Metropolitan Association of College and University Biologists, Molloy College, Long Island, NY, November 2014.
- Socha K, Jurri M, Silva C, Xiong W, Du C. Copy number potentials and whole-gene capturing abilities of Helitron sequences in plants. Montclair State University Student Research Symposium, Montclair, NJ, April 2014.
- Socha K, Atiyat R, Du C, Xiong W. Characterization and comparison of Helitron tandem repeats in sativa. Metropolitan Association of College and University Biologists, Paramus, NJ, October 2013
Awards and Recognition
- 2015- Recipient of Montclair State University’s Margaret and Herman Graduate Fellowship in Science- stipend provided for a student entering into a doctorate program in a STEM field
- 2014- Recipient of Montclair State University’s Bonnie Lustigman Research Fellowship- stipend provided for independent undergraduate research
- 2014- Recipient of Montclair State University’s Charles E. Hadley Memorial Fund – stipend provided to perform independent undergraduate research
- 2013- Acceptance into Montclair State University’s Science Honors Innovation Program- funding and summer stipend provided independent undergraduate research
- 2011-2015- Dean’s List every semester of undergraduate career